This is another paper I wrote that I liked
In Langston Hughes poem "Thank You M'am," he reveals several literary devices that brings the characters to life. He showcases each characters ability to be raw and vulnerable. The main characters Rodger and Mrs. Jones had similar hidden character traits that neither the readers nor the characters themselves knew about. Hughes brings the performances of his characters and the phrase "larger than life"alive by using characterization, irony, and theme.
Hughes uses characterization to bring the performances of the characters and the phrase "larger than life" alive. Through the use of characterization readers discovers that Mrs. Jones does not have children; could tell one why she felt the urge to help Rodger. "um-hum! your face is dirty. I got a great mind to wash your face for you [...]" (Hughes 29-30) One can see that this quote is a paradox, displaying Mrs. Jones coldness toward Rodger, but simultaneously revealing her caring and sensitive side. This quote some what shows how she can be nurturing; she sees how he is in need of a little guidance. The large woman as Hughes describes her shows more of her motherly and nurturing ability through this quote,
"you ought to be my son. I would teach you right from wrong. Least I can do now is to wash your face are you hungry?" (Hughes 38-40) One can tell that she has no time for games and that believes in discipline and hygiene. Readers can tell that Mrs. Jones believes in having pride in one's self.
Through characterization the author paints an image of Rodger that compels one to have sympathy and empathy for him. Mrs. Jones could see that he needed someone to understand him and to help Rodger get a good start in the right direction. "[...] ain't you got nobody home to tell you to wash your face?" "No'm" (Hughes 30-32) Right here viewers can see that Rodger doesn't have anyone to nourish him with the proper guidance, that a child needs at that crucial point in his life. The quote also suggest that Rodger is homeless, one can only infer that since he admitted to not having anyone at home to tell him to wash his face. Through his dialogue with Mrs. Jones this could suggest that he's feeling abandoned and afraid. Adding to he feeling of abandonment and fear one could think when he confessed to not having anyone home that he could have meant symbolically. One could infer that because his tone in his dialogue with Mrs. Jones suggested that he was and lonely he could have been stating that he feels like there is no one in his home with him.
The author also uses characterization to describe Rodger's appearance. Hughes describes him as a fourteen or fifteen year old who looked frail and willow-wild, dressed in tennis shoes and blue jeans. From this anyone can see that he doesn't have a lot and that he may not be that well mannered.
In addition to using dialogue the author uses irony to bring both characters to life. Langston Hughes takes these two characters from a 2D black and white existence to a technicolor 3D world. He gives them real problems that every day people have so that they can relate to the main characters. The large woman continued to talk abruptly to Rodger, but his response was very ironic.
"If I turn you loose, will you run?" "Yes'm" "Then I won't turn you loose [...]" "Lady I'm sorry," (Hughes 24-28) this conversation shows that Mrs. Jones expected him to lie and say that he wouldn't run and then would've tried to run when she let him go, but instead he respected her and told the truth. In addition to telling the truth he said replied to her saying "yes'm," which is short for yes madam; this shows he has some form of manners b/c along those times that was considered to be the polite way of addressing a woman. When analysing this one finds this to be ironic because if Rodger is indeed homeless and has not a role model to show him how to properly address a woman as portrayed; it would be rather odd for him to know this. Although he doesn't have anyone to show him these things many can say he's a worldly person. Rodger also goes on to apologize which is situational irony because it was not what the audience expected.
Lastly, the author helps every day people relate to the characters in "Thank You M'am." This aids in bringing the poem to life making the characters seem real. The central theme of Hughes poem is understanding and commonality. In the poem Rodger learned something shocking about Mrs. Jones that ties into the theme, but also happened to be ironic. Mrs. Jones' house is the main setting of the poem and is also where readers see the theme appear and connect to other literary devices."I was young once and I wanted things I could not get," (Hughes 89) this quote provides the set up for the theme. Viewers start to see her understanding side.
"Um-hum! You thought I was going to say but, didn't you? You thought I was going to say, but I didn't snatch people's pocketbooks. Well I wasn't going to say that." (Hughes 91-94) Here one can see Mrs. Jones openly admit that she had a troubled past as well, but it also shows that someone who was once troubled can turn their life around and get on the straight and narrow path to living the honest way. Through this quote she indirectly states that she understands Rodger's situation.
"I have done things, too, which I would not tell you, son-neither tell God if He didn't already know. Everybody's got something in common [...]" (Hughes 95-97) One can see that she is directly and openly admitting to Rodger that she has done things that she is not proud of, but her tone suggest that she has learned from her mistakes. Mrs. Jones seems to be sharing her story with Rodger so he will not make the same mistakes that she did. In her quote she directly says part of the theme, commonality which tells readers the reason she decided to be nice to Rodger; she saw herself in Rodger.
In conclusion, several literary devices gave this poem character, but the three that stood out were characterization, irony, and theme. Both of the main characters came to life through these devices and allowed many people to relate to their situation. Langston Hughes presented these characters through his words, but the literary devices made them larger than life.
No comments:
Post a Comment